Cascade Yachts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine

2 posters

Go down

Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine Empty Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine

Post  hooligan6a Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Well it looks like I will buy the 29 in Maryland. It is in good shape and has good sails. the only problem is it has a Palmer gas engine. I know nothing about Palmer engines. Any one have any info on them?

hooligan6a

Back to top Go down

Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine Empty I'll ask.

Post  Kristen Mead Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Congratulations on your new-to-you vessel!

I do believe that engine compartment ventilation is a bit of a concern, though. There was one in my boat (a catboat), but it had long since been float-tested prior to Russell and I acquiring the boat.

(You might consider having the vessel surveyed. While it's not cheap, it can help ensure you've got a complete list of To-Do's and that they're prioritized. Especially if there's a system that's new-to-you.)

I'll see if Russell can think of any good references for Palmers or if he has anything to share. In the meanwhile, e-mail him if you have any specific questions, russell @ cascade yacht works.

Best,
Kristen Mead
(Russell's Wife)

Kristen Mead

Back to top Go down

Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine Empty Palmer engine

Post  hooligan6a Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Kristen, Well I won't keep the gas engine, I will have to look around for a small used or rebuilt diesel. My last 29 i bought, sight unseen, without a survey, I was in Hawaii and the boat was in San Francisco. It needed an engine and the sails were rags. but I got it cheap. I fixed it up and sailed it around the world. I'll do the same with this one.

Is that russell@cascadeworks.com

hooligan6a

Back to top Go down

Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine Empty ok, i see.

Post  Kristen Mead Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:53 pm

I'd understand wanting to go with a diesel too, personally. Maybe you can at least turn the Palmer in for a core charge to offset the costs of a rebuilt diesel.

Last time you were in Hawaii, where are you this time, if the new girl is in Maryland?

It's russell @ cascade yacht works .com. -- trying to keep the spam machines from picking up his address. It's the same e-mail as on the Cascade website.

Best,
Kristen Mead

Kristen Mead

Back to top Go down

Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine Empty Palmer for a diesel

Post  hooligan6a Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:37 pm

I am now in Florida on my current boat, an Island Packet 320. Yes, that is what I think I will do, trade in the Palmer for a core and buy a rebuilt yanmar diesel. If I make another circumnavigation, I don't want to do it in my IP, it's to big.

hooligan6a

Back to top Go down

Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine Empty IP320 to a C29!

Post  Kristen Mead Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:49 am

That's a bit of a change.

When I read that this morning I thought, oh, 3 feet shorter, that's not a huge change. Then about lunchtime, my brain actually started functioning. Those IPs are fairly beamy, and Cascades aren't. Motions in a seas will be pretty different. Seems like you're going 3 feet shorter and 3 feet less beam. But it makes a lot of sense; I've been hearing from a number of serious cruisers that a boat around 29' is much easier to manage and afford to do a serious cruise on, than larger boats. Granted, that Island Packet must have a really comfy interior, and I bet it wouldn't be bad for island and Gulf Stream hopping.

Russ likes Yanmars too--its what's in both our personal boats. Nothing against other brands.

Pretty neat plans! Keep us updated.

Best,
Kristen

Kristen Mead

Back to top Go down

Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine Empty Island Paket to a 29

Post  hooligan6a Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:15 am

Yes, it is only 3 feet but it is a huge change. Down below the Packet is pure luxury compared to the 29. I have all the bells and whistles on the Packet. The 29 is very Spartan, nothing to go wrong compared to a boat load if potential problems. I would never circumnavigate solo in a boat over 30 feet, too much work and much more expensive.

hooligan6a

Back to top Go down

Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine Empty Re: Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine

Post  Kristen Mead Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:26 pm

Island Packets do seem to be quite comfortably appointed. We came across one or two while salvaging boats in Louisiana after the Storm. No doubt you can add some creature comforts to a 29, but with any boat there's only so much you can jam in; there's a point of diminishing returns. It's the usual issue with boats--everything's a compromise. Let me know if you need someone to boat-sit the IP while you're circumnavigating, if you're not selling her. I could be talked into some warm weather!

Let us know if you need anything. We still have a set of patterns, drawings, and molds. Just not any record of each hull and original owner--that disappeared before we acquired the company. Send pictures!

It sounds like this will be a neat father-son trip. Any places you're already excited about stopping off at?

Best,
Kristen

Kristen Mead

Back to top Go down

Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine Empty Cascade 29

Post  hooligan6a Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:49 pm

My last 29 had a hand held GPS and a VHF, that is it, oh, and a stove. Very Spartan. Sorry I am going solo and my son will boatsit the IP.

Do you have a hard dodger?

I just found an old Volvo MD2 diesel, the same as i had in my old 29.

What a loss, all of the old records, I saw them in the old office when Stu looked up my 29. Is there any chance someone might know where they went? Has anyone talke to Stu or Hans?

hooligan6a

Back to top Go down

Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine Empty Dodgers? Yep.

Post  Kristen Mead Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:50 pm

We do have the hard dodger molds for the 29s--the two-part ones. http://www.cascadeyachtworks.com/parts/dodgers/index.htm Give Russell an e-mail to discuss, he can work with you on details, check shipping, and guesstimate the most updated lead times.

The records, as far as we understand, were no longer in existance, sometime before we came into the picture, late 2007. Since we both own boats that are older than we are, we're not happy about this either. We're doing what we can to collect owner data as folks send it in--there is so much variety between finished boats, so many stories, and a lot of years-worth of history. We've been talking about how best to put up an interactive database for ex, current, and new owners to collaborate on history, but don't have anything specific together yet. This forum is the best tool we have currently.

Feel free to start a thread on Hooligan and relate stories about your previous circumnavigation with her, and please share pictures.

The same for your new-to-you 29. We'd love to know how she's fairing, what your plans are, and assist where we can.

Best,
Kristen

Kristen Mead

Back to top Go down

Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine Empty Re: Buying a 29 w/ Palmer gas engine

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum